Friday, April 6, 2012

Our Surprise Trip to Minnesota



Since being in Ireland, Ross and I have had the chance to see our friends and family in San Diego many times, but we haven't seen some of our closest friends, Julie and Dustin, who live in Minnesota, for four years! Not only this, but they have had two babies in that time frame who we hadn't been able to meet. We were soooo missing the precious Gott family so Ross and I devised a sneaky plan with Dustin to shock the socks off of Julie for her 30th birthday. With two weeks off for Easter Break, we thought it would be the perfect time to make our dreams a reality. Since January, we have been scheming with Dustin to come up with the perfect surprise for Julie... and if I must say so myself, we did an AMAZING job keeping the secret and with its execution!


So on Tuesday, April 3rd we boarded the plane with a very sneaky package in hand, complete with authentic postage, customs declaration, and the perfect crinkled international package look. That evening Dustin told Julie he was "watching a game" with the boys, but really came and picked us up from the airport instead. As we approached the house, I was SOOO nervous! Questions like, "Does she know?" "Did she see an email?" "Did she suspect something when Dustin started vacumming today?" (Sorry I had to throw that one in there Dustin!) We slipped out of the car and quietly tip-toed to the front porch behind a pillar. Crouching in the dark on the grass for almost 30 minutes we were afraid nervous neighbors would call the cops on the creepers outside! Unsuspecting Julie was chatting away to her mom on the phone! Hee! Hee!



Meanwhile, Dustin brought in the mail from the day along with the sneaky package that we had given him. Finally, after Julie got off the phone she opened her birthday package. Inside she found a CD with a song that Ross and I had recorded for her. We rewrote the lyrics to Katy Perry's song, "Teenage Dream" telling Julie how fabulous and wonderful her life is living the "Woodbury Dream" (the city in MN where they live)!

Listen and enjoy! And pay careful attention to the last bridge of the song ...


So after listening to this song, and Ross' soulful remix to "Woodbury Dream" Julie had NO clue that we were quite serious about "coming so far to be her Irish Dream tonight!" Click on the You Tube link below to enjoy the surprise reveal that occurs only after MUCH prodding from Dustin!



Surprise view from the outside

This is honestly the best reaction I could have ever imagined possible! I have officially decided that Julie is the funnest person to surprise! If that one moment was all I got flying all the way from Ireland, it would have been worth it! But thankfully we had eight days to soak up Julie, Dustin, and the four kiddos!

I had such precious time living life with Julie and seeing her as a mom of four. She truly is a woman to be admired! Logan, Landon, Layton, and January have endeared themselves to our hearts forever! It is precious now knowing their little quarks and personalities that skype just doesn't allow you to experience. Ross and I feel so blessed that we had the opportunity and resources to make this trip. Here are some of the many pictures taken to capture the highlights.



Driving in the backseat with the boys



Lake Minnetonka



Logan tree climbing



January snuggling with Ross



Cutest little tutu tushie



Sleeping angel



It's the little details :)



At tea for Julie's birthday



Going to tea



January's easter egg



The boys after their Easter egg hunt



January in her cute Easter dress



The boys ready to find their Easter eggs



January's new Easter glasses



January in her new butterfly towel, glasses, and swimsuit



Everyone in their matching Easter gifts



Well, we wanted to have fun in them too!



Mall of America


Taking the boys on a roller coaster


Such cuties


Ross teaching the boys the proper way to eat a cone



Ross playing Rugby with the boys with the ball we brought from Ireland

6 comments:

merilee said...

Susie and Ross...WOW!!!!! You are truly such amazing friends to Julie and Dustin! I'm blown away at the act of love you showed Juj and her family by coming to see them! Her reaction is the best I've ever seen. I was watching with tears in my eyes and feeling so thankful that she has friends that love her so much! You are a tremendous blessing to her, and to my family as well! XOXO

Anonymous said...

Suz and Ross, I laughed and cried my way through this blog twice, just soaking in the incredibly creative song, the wild, overwhelming surprise, those precious little faces, and the rich support and joy of your friendship...oh my! I am blown away! What a gift you have given Julie...a treasured forever memory! I am so full of gratitude that Julie and Dustin have such amazing friends that truly bring them God's sweet love in the flesh!
Love you both! Caralie

Ross said...

Merilee & Caralie-
It was such a pleasure and joy to do! We had SO much fun making the song and coming up with the best way to surprise her! Miss you both!

Suzanne

Girl with a Soul said...

You guys this is the best blog post ever! I love the videos; totally make me cry! I love how special and wonderful your friendship is, it's beautiful! The photos make me smile too. This is happiness x infinity squared!

That song was fantastic...when is the album coming out?!

Carrie

Anonymous said...

Ok you guys are AWESOME!!!! And I might say some pretty great songwriting there! I totally cried! How special that was for her. You both are amazing friends...love you! Hi JULIE....you adorable sexy soccer mom! ~nova

Anonymous said...

I love everything you did to surprise Julie. You two are amazing friends and your love for each other is awesome. Thank you for sharing your song, video and pictures of your trip. I've cried each time I've watched this. Hugs and Kisses, Mom & Dad H.